Adoption Arena was founded in June 2014 along with the launch event called 'Comics4Adoption', the show attracted huge media attention as it was the first of it's kind a comedy show featuring comedians who had been adopted, fostered or in care! Learning is also about Laughing.
Opportunities to speak on the BBC World Service, BBC Radio London 94.9Fm and LBC followed. Adoption Arena was born.
Who is Joy Carter, Adoption Arena founder?
I am an EMMA-nominated (*Ethnic multicultural media award) comedian, writer, speaker and adoption advocate.
I was adopted myself from Nigeria. Since 2006 I started my adoption advocacy work as a speaker and campaigner on adoption issues, working closely with BAAF (British Association of Adoption and Fostering, now CoramBAAF on campaigns and media engagements nationally.
Since 2012 I took my concerns for more political engagement to Parliament and was able to work with various MP's, think tanks and organisations discussing changes of policy, such as the 2012 abolishment of the 'colour matching' placement policy.
I now have many celebrity supporters, adoption advocates, personal friends in politics and the media who support this work.
The Journey Ahead
Why is it important for these voices to be heard?
1. Adoption Arena produces community and learning from others who have 'walked the walk'.
2. Adoption and fostering affects a quarter of the population, cancer is a third. Society knows more about cancer than adoption.
3. We desire to create more 'Experts with Experience' in this field, society and government. As organisations learn to work more productively and powerfully with young people and adults, lasting change will be developed. Adoption Arena facilitates this through training programmes and support for both parties.
4. Help create more innovation in this field, as doing what we aways have results in getting what we always got.
5. To reach and educate the adoption, fostering voice into new demographics of society, and countries where adoption and fostering is still underdeveloped.
Training and seminars
The use of the creative arts and technology is a powerful tool to engage society with your message and story. Through workshops, training, seminars, talks, events and festivals Adoption Arena is committed to helping you UpSkill to achieve your personal goals, find and develop your voice and help you find your role if want to in the adoption, fostering and care community.
All members of Adoption Arena are entitled to exclusive live talks and seminars.
Organisations please contact us for speaking engagements, and seminars.
Current seminar/conference topics include:
1. Black Lives Matter and Transracial Adoption
2. The Adoption Mental Health toolkit
3. The Comedy Adoption Show
'Spot the Difference', a 1 Hour comedy show about Joy's transracial adoption journey from birth to present day!
*contact us for bookings and enquiries.
“There are tens of thousands of children in the UK who will grow up in the care of the state. Some will be adopted, most will be cared for by foster carers and keep in touch with their families. 1 in 4 people have a connection with adoption and fostering, but we could do so much more to bring people together to understand, help and support this disparate community.
This website has the potential to support and grow a real social network, one that can provide information, challenge myths and stereotypes, and help adopted and fostered children right through to adulthood, because being a child is only the beginning of their story.”
Harvey Gallagher, Chief Executive. Nationwide Association of Fostering Providers